Tourist Visa in Nepal
Tribhuvan International Airport is the only international airport of Nepal. Immigration Office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under Department of Immigration has been facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. 'On Arrival' visa procedure is very quick and simple. You can expect some queues during peak Tourist season. If you wish to skip those queues, you can also consider getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. Choice is yours.
If you have obtained visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter into Nepal.
Visas obtained on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points are 'Tourist Visas'. They bear multiple Re entry facility. Tourist Visa 'On Arrival' is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get' Tourist Visa' to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from Department of Immigration by producing required documents.
Nationals of following countries are requested to acquire Visa prior their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of Nepal Government.
1. Nigeria 2. Ghana 3. Zimbabwe 4. Swaziland 5. Cameroon 6. Somalia 7. Liberia 8. Ethiopia 9. Iraq 10. Palestine 11. Afghanistan 12. Syria
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) if you have not acquired a Visa prior to boarding the plane.
- Fill in ' Arrival Card '
- Fill in Online Tourist visa Form (you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting our official website, Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement (15/30/90 Days)
Get the receipt
- While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
On Arrival Visa Fee
- 15 Days – 30 USD
- 30 Days – 50 USD
- 90 Days – 125 USD
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport
- Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request a concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you a Gratis Visa 'On Arrival'.
- Non-Residential Nepalese(NRN) cardholder (issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non-tourist visa extension can be done only at Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
- Tourist visa extension is done for minimum 15 days, with USD 45 and USD 3 per day for additional days.
- In the case of delay less than 150 days, additional USD 5 per day as late fine.
Foreign nationals having a transit in Nepal can obtain Transit Visa to enter into the country to spend a night (24 hours) by producing a proof of transit (Air ticket). Similarly, the foreign nationals arriving to Nepal due to untoward circumstances such as emergency or forced landing can acquire tourist visa if they want to leave the airport and visit the country.
Transit Visa applicants should fill out online Visa application (Link to Online Visa Application), pay necessary Visa fee (5 USD) at the bank counter and proceed to Transit Visa desk after arriving at the airport for acquiring the Visa. Transit Visa is issued by an Immigration Officer upon his/her satisfaction.
For Immigration details:
Location: The Department of Immigration is located at Kalikasthan, Dillibazar, Kathmandu.
Tel: 977 – 1 – 4429659 / 4429660 / 4438862 / 4438868
Fax: 977 – 1 – 4433934 /4433935
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com